Since I started this blog I have given my creative side free reign. This year I made all my own decorations
for the Christmas tree with rewarding results. I also managed to make a lot of stuff for the school bake sale and most of it turned out pretty well, apart from the crumbly coconut ice (but cellophane and curling ribbon go a long way towards making a dodgy slice look good. ) Intoxicated by my success I thought that I would try making some home made Christmas gifts and the results where not quite what I had hoped for...
When I doing research for my post about hexagons I came across what was supposed to be a faceted hexagonal ornament, on Pintrest and had to have a go. I attempted to put the thing together but was completely baffled by the instructions and found the black on white photos really hard to understand.
Thinking it had something to do with my dyscalculia I decided to enlist my husbands help. But he soon confirmed that the problem was with the instructions and not with me. He also pointed out that the only thing that this ornament has in common with a hexagon is that they are both shapes. In my attempt to make my straws conform I had managed to glue together a hexagon anyway. My husband suggested that I ditch the shape idea and make a Tie fighter with the straws instead . After several failed attempts by both of us to get it to work most of it ended up in the bin. Apart from some straws that I selvedge and made into a star, which of course is what I actually meant to make all along.
I've been seeing those hand made beads in gift shops for a while now and I thought I would have a crack at making some. I used air dying clay because I had some handy. You can't really see from the picture but I had a lot of trouble getting the paint to stick. After a few weeks of mucking around with different types of paint. I'm quite prepared to make this down as fail. I'm not quite ready to give up on the bead making yet but I think I will give the air drying clay a miss.
I also made these ginger bread men broaches out of air drying clay, they are actually pretty cute but I wasn't able to stick the pin parts to them using my glue gun so I am going to have to get some super glue or something. They were a total pain to make because I had to give them so many coats of paint and then a coat of varnish. Also they are very fragile, I had a lot more of them but many got broken by my two year old. I might have been better to have made them out of bread dough. This would have been a fun craft if I had more time and didn't have to worry about my destructive child.